Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Little Swimmer

I woke up feeling the chill of the bedroom air and wanted to stay warm and cozy in my bed. Oh, how I love the warmth of my familiar bed. I could have stayed there for hours. Okay, not hours, but maybe 20 minutes? Then, comes the sound of a harp from my iPhone. This should be a peaceful relaxing sound, but it has been transformed into an irritating sound meaning "Wake up!" and "No more sleep for you!" Moments later, I hear a pitter-patter of little feet nearing my bed. Caitlin appears for her good morning hug and snuggle and I spend a few more minutes enjoying the morning peacefulness until she directs me to get up and that her belly is grumbling for breakfast.

My body has needed some extra sleep and did not want to pull itself out of the bedroom after being miserably sick with a cold. I have also been waking every 4 hours to care for orphaned hedgehogs that need hand-feeding. The combination of the two has been exhausting to say the least.

After waking Corinne, collecting school necessities, picking out clothes and pulling together a halfway decent breakfast in my tired stupor, I didn't realize that today was another COLD COLD morning. Luckily, I had remembered hat and gloves for Corinne anyway as we pulled out of the garage in the 5 degree van. This kind of weather makes me want to stay in bed and watch old movies. This is not the kind of weather that makes me want to take Caitlin to swimming lessons. But, that is just what I did.

As we were driving to swimming lessons, Caitlin seemed extra happy and giddy. I think the Mommy and Caitlin drive makes her feel extra special. It is something that only Caitlin gets to do. Swimming lessons seem like a special treat to her. Corinne doesn't do it and she knows that she has one upped her sister in this department. Luckily, the pool area was over 80 degrees with 87 degree water. I spent the time soaking in the warmth and the joy while she swam. She focuses and works hard to do better, improve her strokes, jump farther and swim faster. Her instructor says she wishes all kids had her attitude with swimming. Caitlin says "I can do anything if I try." It makes me so proud. On the ride home today, she said she wants to enter a swimming competition and win a trophy and with her attitude, I'm sure she will.

No comments:

Post a Comment